Friday, February 11, 2011

BYE-BYE-BINKIE!!!!





















OK. Let's see if I can get through this (without crying my eyes out!) This has been a huge milestone for Devlyn. Is getting rid of her "Binks" She's had it since the day she was born, when she got her first Soothie Binkie in the hospital. Ever since than, She's been a binkie baby! She only likes Soothie or Gum Drop Binkies that have the same tip as Soothies. They've helped her sleep through the night since she was almost 3 mo. old. It was a joke that it was her "cork" she'd cry, you gave her the bink and she was silent! They've comforted her, "soothed" her, been her little vice, it's been her "security blanket" for such a long time (Her whole 2 years of life!). Wherever Devie went her Binkie was right there popped in her mouth, or by her or attached to her shirt. We've had to listen to people or family try to tell us that Dev shouldn't have the binkie still, or she was too old for it or etc..and we had to just ignore it, because for one, its our child, two, she wasn't even a year old at that time, and three who are these people trying to give us there advice? When our kid slept through the night because of the binkie, there's didn't. It wasn't holding her back from talking she was advanced in speech, there's wasn't. Dev was such an easy baby for us, there's was hard. lol! It wasn't hurting her, or anyone else..so why such a big deal to others? I still don't know why. And yet, those same people tried to give there baby a binkie & they wouldn't take it!So you really have to just laugh! So I think you just have to listen to what they have to say, to be polite. But do what you think is best for your [child]. We always knew as her parents we definitely knew she couldn't have the binkie for long..but didn't know how we were going to go about taking it away from her..We've tried bribing her with toys, candy & etc..didn't work. We tried saying the binkie went "bye-bye" didn't work. We tried saying the binkie needed to go to the "binkie fairy!" she wasn't buying it..Nothing worked. The closest thing we got to getting rid of the binkie was just in breaks..she'd go sometimes all day without it but when nap time or bed time came binkie was a must! sometimes she'd fall asleep on a car ride without it, but not to bed..not ever! We tried taking it away and she'd ask for it..constantly, and ofcourse, when bed time came around she got it. She got sick one time, and we gave it to her because we felt bad for her, and it comforted her, so since than she kind of had it back again 24-7!


Usually if Dev gets a bath and the bink is last hooked on her clothes she wore last..she'll go look for it, and usually ends up finding it. Well that's what happened the other night, she lost it, than went to the upstairs bathroom and found it. Than when she came into our bedroom, she lost it. It was time to go to bed and we explained to her that she lost it, and we couldn't find it. She came to understanding that she did loose it..she was kinda sad, than just said ok. We laid her down to bed, she fussed for a little bit, but took her milk cup and fell asleep. She has NEVER fell asleep at night without her binkie! The next day, I went to work and called her grandma to let her know not to let Dev have her binkie, if she ends up finding one around the house to hide it. Dev asked for it over and over throughout the day. But when it came to going to bed that night, she still didn't have it and went to bed w/out it. She did have trouble again in the early morning, she was wanting it, and so I let her crawl into bed with me as I soothed her back to sleep. I need to be careful to not turn one habit into another. But I heard it's [rough] the first couple of days..It's ONLY 3 days of not having her binkie..but she's NEVER gone 1 full 24 hour period with out it! Let alone the current 3 days 24-7 withOUT it! It's a HUGE deal to us. I have to admit..I feel sad, cause I know how much she loves it..and If i was to break out one of the new binkies we have saved for Khlo'e I know she'd pop it right in her mouth! [Not gonna happen..]But at the same time I'm so happy, that she is going without it, and that WE haven't given in, and it's working!!! I'm so proud of her!!! And I wanted this day to happen..for a long time. Just didn't know it would, and It's another sign of "Mom, I'm growing up!" & I think that's what makes me sad..But anyways just had to write about this huge accomplishment..that may seems small to others, but to us..it's HUGE! Hopes this keeps going good! Devlyn, Mommy & Daddy loves you very much! :D




♥ T Momma

2 comments:

  1. WHAT A BIG GIRL!! :) I'm so proud of her and her mama too! I'm sure it's tough for you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, big girl! That is exactly the same as Emberlyn! We lost it and that was that and it scared the CRAP outta me. I think I had way more anixety than Ember did, she was such a binkie girl too! I think our babies knew when they were ready! Good job Dev! and Good job Momma!

    ReplyDelete